Back to Battlezone

SO back to my Battlezone repair. First I had to repair the AR-II board. Besure to check your R29 and R30 resisters. See how this one was burnt.
So I replaced the R29, turned the Battlezone back on and ‘SMOKE‘ everywhere! The shop smelled like burnt resistor for a day. What did I forget? I forget to check the pins/plugs to the PCB. On Atari boards they get burnt also and is a very common problem.
So I removed the PCB and found this.

I’ve had this on most of my Atari games. You can repair this a few different ways. I usually clean with a nylon pen and put down a fresh layer of solder over the area. In the past I have used a cut piece of copper soldiered into place. Or you can buy one of these:

DOT on my Asteroids

My Asteroids cabinet was in very good condition. Including the original control panel overlay. Finding a working Asteroids can be very rare and this one wasn’t working either.
As with so many Atari games, first start checking the power supply and then the Audio/Regulator (AR for short) board. Also check the edge connections on the PCB board, they will get burnt if the voltage slips. So after I got the Asteroid to power up, it sounded like it was playing blind. Well of course that means monitor problems. After making adjustments, I was pretty excited to see moving asteroids. But there’s a problem, See the image:

There’s a bright DOT in the middle of the screen, DOTS in each asteroids and with retrace lines all over the place. The Problem was the Z AMP was out, then I did a full re-cap, replaced about a dozen small signal transistors in the def board and a little trace reworking. Hey after that, GOOD AS NEW!!!!